Defying the Odds: Overcoming Diabetes Through Taekwondo

About Angel Joy Erebete

Living with a chronic illness can be challenging. I have been living with diabetes since elementary school, and it has caused me to be hospitalized multiple times. But when my friend encouraged me to try Taekwondo, I found a new way to manage my illness and achieve my goals. Initially, I was hesitant to join because I was worried about the impact it might have on my health. 

However my parents encouraged me to try it, and I found that Taekwondo not only made me stronger but also helped me to avoid eating and drinking things that were forbidden to me. Since joining the Taekwondo team at Sorsogon State University, I have continued to practice and compete, and I have not been hospitalized once. Taekwondo has helped me to maintain my health and avoid illness, and it has given me a newfound sense of discipline and focus. 

Taekwondo has also had a positive impact on my mental health. It has allowed me to manage my stress and anxiety better, and it has given me the confidence to defend myself if necessary. The Taekwondo organization at SorSU has become more organized since the pandemic, and although it can be difficult to allocate a budget for promotion, we have still managed to achieve success in competitions. 

I am proud to have won gold and silver medals in various competitions, including the Sorsogon National High School Intramurals, City Meet, Bicol Meet, and Sorsu Games. Playing Taekwondo has had great benefits for me. It has helped me to manage my diabetes, relieve stress, and achieve my goals. It has also taught me discipline and self-defense skills. But perhaps the most significant impact of Taekwondo on my life has been the support of my teammates and coaches. 

They have encouraged me every step of the way, and they have shown me that anything is possible with hard work and dedication. Living with diabetes can be challenging, but Taekwondo has taught me that I can overcome any obstacle. I am grateful for the lessons I've learned and the friends I've made, and I look forward to continuing my Taekwondo journey.”

-Angel Joy Domdom Erebete, 22 | Sorsogon State University Main Campus, Sorsogon City, Philippines

Follow Me on our social media channels.

Comments

Popular Posts