From Asthma to Strength: How Taekwondo Changed My Life

About Carl Kent Calzado Maligaya
"Growing up, I had always struggled with asthma. It often held me back from participating in sports and other physical activities that I enjoyed. However, when I turned 9, I discovered the world of taekwondo, and it changed my life for the better.
From the moment I stepped onto the mat, I was hooked. I loved the challenge of learning new techniques, the rush of adrenaline during sparring matches, and the sense of camaraderie I felt with my fellow students. Over the years, I continued to train and compete, eventually making it to the regional and even national level.

But taekwondo was more than just a sport for me. It was a way to strengthen my body, improve my breathing, and sharpen my mind. Through consistent training, I was able to overcome my asthma and become a stronger, healthier person overall.

Beyond the physical benefits, taekwondo also gave me the opportunity to connect with people from all walks of life. Whether it was sparring with a teammate or competing against someone from a different school, I always felt a sense of kinship with my fellow martial artists.

And perhaps most importantly, taekwondo gave me a sense of adventure. Competing in different cities and states allowed me to explore new places and have new experiences. And my family was always by my side, cheering me on every step of the way.

Looking back on my journey, I realize that taekwondo has played an incredibly important role in my life. It has given me the tools to overcome physical challenges, forge meaningful relationships, and explore the world around me. And for that, I will always be grateful."

-Carl Kent Calzado Maligaya,18, Sorsogon State University (Laboratory High School), Sorsogon City

Follow Me on our social media channels.

Comments

Popular Posts